If you have followed NYC spray program over the last 16 years, you know that typically one borough is sprayed at a time. But on Wednesday, September 9th, a trifecta will occur: Brooklyn, Staten Island, and that rarity of occurrences, Manhattan will all be sprayed by truck with dangerous pesticides.
One alarming aspect of this occurrence is that Central Park, home to wildlife, including birds, bees, other insects, raccoons, hawks, and other species, will also be sprayed with these harmful pyrethroid pesticides.
According to the Department of Health web site, these areas will be sprayed between 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, September 9th and 6 a.m. Thursday, September 10th. This is a large area to subject to these dangerous pesticides. The pesticide being used is Anvil 10 + 10.
- BROOKLYN — Neighborhoods: Parts of Crown Heights, Greenwood Heights, Kensington, Park Slope, Prospect Lefferts Garden, Prospect Heights, Prospect, Park South, Sunset Park, and Windsor Terrace
- Zip codes: 11215, 11217, 11218, 11219, 11220, 11225, 11226, 11232, and 11238
- MANHATTAN — Neighborhoods: Parts of Central Park, East Harlem, Harlem, Lincoln Square, Manhattan Valley, Morningside Heights, and Upper West Side
- Zip codes: 10023, 10024, 10025, 10026, 10027, and 10035
- STATEN ISLAND — Neighborhoods: Parts of Arden Heights, Charleston, Fresh Kills, Greenridge, Hugenot, Pleasant Plains, Port Mobil, Princes Bay, Rossville, Sandy Ground, and Woodrow
- Zip codes: 10309, 10312, and 10314
If you don’t know how the spraying is actually done, watch this video and you will be further alarmed. It is hard to believe this is still occurring. One thing you can do is contact your local NYC Council member and ask them to stop this spraying.
Recently at NoSpray.org:
Stop NYC’s New Round of Pesticide Spraying, Now
16 Years of Toxic Pesticide Spraying Across NYC: When will it end?
Photo #1: Ameli via Flickr
Photo #2: Don Sutherland via Flickr